Sunday, November 16, 2008

Santa really does exist. . . even in Mexico!

Yesterday was a day full of fun and frivolity.

It began with a second round of "Baking and Bonding". For as long as I can remember, my family has had this Christmas tradition known as "baking and bonding". On some weekend before Christmas, my family along with another family, the Ronkettos, gather together to bake Christmas cookies, decorate sugar cookies, and spend time together. (here is a pic from an Original Baking and Bonding)

Since I have had to miss this beloved tradition for the last couple of years, I have worked to carry it on wherever I might be.

I have already had two "Baking and Bonding" experiences this year (and it isn't even December). The first was in Nebraska with Lori and Crystal (never were so many cookies made in such a short period of time).

The second happened yesterday, although the people planning it didn't know that "Baking and Bonding" was its official name.

Here are some photos from that time:(This was the first "Baking and Bonding" to include Tea Time.

And I am secretly planning a third "Baking and Bonding" in which the official sugar cookie decorating will occur.

Jay had a craving last night for tacos, so we set off in the minivan to find a (cheap) taco place.
Since it was only 5:30, every restaurant was open. . . but empty.

Here is a pic of Jay with the completely empty restaurant behind his head.Here are the desired tacos.

And here was the bathroom - I have had many interesting bathroom experiences in Mexico and this one is noteworthy because it was good! They had toilet paper and soap.
We didn't want to spend another night at home, and most places around Chihuahua right now are considered dangerous after dark, so. . . .

We went to the Mall! And I was shocked to find out Mexican malls are just as crazy with their Christmas decorations as American malls.

Everywhere we looked they had these Christmas candy creations set up. They also had a GIANT Christmas tree and a Santa figurine (no real Santa. . . at least not yet.)

OK, now for a sidenote: I pulled out the end of our loaf of bread this morning and this is what I found.The package was intact so we know it wasn't our mice (yes, we have mice, but I am getting used to it), So we figure it must have happened during the packaging. If anybody has any ideas, please let us know. Anyway, it made Jay and I laugh and ask "WHY!?!" for a long time.

1 comment:

Dakarai I. Aarons said...

That bread thing is mysterious indeed! It looks so beautiful down there...maybe i can come visit in '09.