Thursday, July 3, 2008

Radios and winking dads

I have recently encountered the strange phenomena of the winking dad. I encounter several hundred dads a week as a work at the luggage pavillion on opening and closing days. 75% of those dads will wink at me. I don't really see it as them being flirty - really it is more like a twitch that they began in adolescence as a way to pick up girls, but now it is the instant reaction that happens to their face when they see a female.

Here is a picture that I feel sums up what Jay and I are doing this summer.


Our radios. They are a permanant attatchment to our hips (or I guess in Jay's case, a permanent attatchment to his new utility belt. . . I don't know, it is a host thing). Jay is known by his job. Everybody needs the host, all of the time. The radios sleep next to our bed and they like to wake up and talk (especially to Jay) very late at night or very early in the morning. For me, everybody on my staff knows my name and likes to call it - a lot. I rarely get to make it from the food line to my table with my food still hot because I am the giver of the answers to all of the questions, all of the time.

Here is a gift to my Lincoln friends:


Yes folks, that is Scottie Broxterman all decked out for our army themed evening event, and it is not just him. Check out some of my other staff:

I miss you all and love you dearly.

1 comment:

Ben Davy said...

In some ways our summers are quite similar, yours with radios-ours with baby monitors; you get questions, we get baby cries. We're starting to get smiles and she's starting to "talk" to us. I hope your compensation is fulfilling too :)